David R. Bruegel, P.C.David R. Bruegel, P.C. brandDavid R. Bruegel, P.C.
Call Us Today
Local : 517-833-4196
Our Practice Areas

Your spouse just doesn't do what is promised. What do you do?

We All Need A Champion

It isn't at all uncommon that you have a convesation with your boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse and agree to do keep property separate for their kids or affirmatively do something: like dismiss the divorce (if you were married and were trying to "work things out"?

And guess what?  They don't do it!!

Now what?

Really and truly this outcome doesn't strike you as all that unusual, given that he or she has a "track-record" and has been saying things like this all along, back even into "court-ship."

Problem is you care about marriage.  You care about the kids.  You care about dissolving the bonds.

I have to tell people that it gets to a point, and usually this particular unkept promise is NOT the only unkept promise -- that the issue now is bigger than it was when you, personally, were the only one getting the short shrift.

Now its not only you.  It is the kids.  What is the future of the kids if this person can't be trusted and you have bent over backwards to tolerate excuses that really could turn out to be plain old lies, if you were to look closely as what isn't gettng done.  His or her excuses are cover-ups for inactivity and reluctances and laziness and, let's say it, lies.

Actually MORE lies.

Blast.  Just when you thought you might have this thing figured out.

My advice has to be to play this thing out, step-by-step.  If you have to set up two trusts to protect the gifts you want your kids to get (second marriage) then the issue will be does the spouse have enough to live on?

If you give everything to the spouse, why can't that spouse amend the trust after you are dead and give it all to his or her kids?

If the spouse simply isn't dismissing the divorce, you might want to look at that and ask yourself if the drugs he or she just might be taking, or the life-long selfishness suggests to you that even if you marry, better get a good lawyer to help you protect yourself.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Expert Network | Distinguished lawyer | David R Bruegel
  • National Association Of Distinguished Counsel | Nation's Top One Percent | NADC
  • This Attorney is Lead Counsel Rated. Click here for more Information.Elder Law & Estate Planning

Share Your Concerns.

The first step toward tackling any legal problem is to talk it over with a trusted professional. Discuss your legal worries with attorney David Bruegel. Call or send an email to get started.

Send Your Information Today

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

David R. Bruegel, P.C.

Attorney Image
Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney General Practice Peer Review Rated For Ethical Standards & Legal Ability AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell from LexisNexis

Contact Information

155 W. Maple St.
P.O. Box 316
Mason, MI 48854

Phone: 517-833-4196
Fax: 517-676-6035
Map & Directions